Convicts, Outlaws and Johnny Cash!
Download 2021 Johnny Cash Prison Concert.pdf
Cost: $649 pp/dbl, and includes 6 Meals (3 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 2 Dinners), Reserved Seating to see the BackTraxx Rock 'N Roll Party, Reserved Seating to see the Johnny Cash Prison Concert, Costumed Convict & Cop Competition, Independence and Incarceration Tour, Guided Tour of Oglebay Mansion and The Carriage House Museum, 2 Nights Deluxe Lodging at the Oglebay Resort, Roundtrip Luggage Handling, All Taxes, Meal Gratuities, and Local Guide Gratuities, Hostess Service and Motorcoach Transportation.
Single: $799; Triple: $629 pp; $609 pp;
A $200 pp deposit is due within 3 weeks of reservations.
Final balance is due by July 1, 2021.
"Folsom Prison Blues" was recorded in 1955 and was an instant hit. It was very popular among inmates who wrote to Johnny and perhaps that is why he became a very vocal advocate for Prison Reform. His first Prison Concert was at Huntsville State Prison in 1957, a full 10 years before his famous live albums at Folsom Prison (1968) and San Quentin (1969). Most people don't know those were just two of many, many prison concerts Johnny Cash played.
Tuesday, August 24
- Depart from Terminal (5 1/2 hour travel time)
- FULL BREAKFAST is included at CRACKER BARREL en route.
- Upon arrival in Wheeling, WV, you will have the chance to try your luck at the WHEELING ISLAND CASINO. The casino floor features over 1,100 slot machines of various themes, betting capabilities and chances to win. The gambling floor also features your favorite table games, including Craps, Blackjack, Roulette, and more!
- Lunch is on your own while here.
- Mid-Afternoon, we will check in to the OGLEBAY RESORT for a 2-NIGHT DELUXE STAY at this beautiful resort. LUGGAGE service is included.
- Once you have had time to freshen up and explore the resort, you will enjoy an incredible PLATED DINNER, followed by a show performed by a local favorite group, BACKTRAXX. This group frequently performs at Cleveland's Rock 'N' Roll Hall of Fame. Playing music you know - the greatest hits of the 60s and 70s - they are both a great stage show and a wonderful dance band.
Wednesday, August 25
- BREAKFAST is included at the hotel this morning.
- This morning's THREE HOUR GUIDED TOUR is titled with a bit of humor and irony - INDEPENDENCE AND INCARCERATION. It features Wheeling's INDEPENDENCE HALL where the vote to secede from Virginia was won in 1863. The next part of your tour features a visit to WV's GOTHIC-LOOKING PRISON, which was once on a list of top 10 most violent correctional facilities.
- Following this tour, we will return to the resort to relax and freshen up before the evenings entertainment.
- This evening's activities are held at the OLD WEST VIRGINIA PENITENTIARY, a Gothic-style structure built in 1876 that once held over 2,000 inmates. Unlike many of them, you may rest assured that you are getting out after the show!
- Tonight's DINNER, SHOW AND COSTUME CONTEST are produced in the renovated Machine Shop. Our bus will drive through a high-arched entrance under the North Guard Tower and into The Yard. This building, in the shadow of the Guard Towers, has been renovated in recent years, has good acoustics and serves the local community as a meeting facility. We encourage you to get in the spirit of the day and dress as though you are guards or guests, to participate in the COSTUMED CONVICT & COP COMPETITION. There will be several prizes awarded such as a file in a cake, handcuff keys, and a few commutations and paroles. Price categories will be created spontaneously by the eccentric Warden who maintains a strict, but happy discipline here at the Pen.
- You will start with a JAILBIRD FEAST - a menu of comfort food, in a prison cafeteria atmosphere, served by the usual suspects.
- The excitement continues as you are presented a re-creation of JOHNNY CASH'S "OUTLAW PRISON CONCERT," featuring Gray Sartin and the Tennessee Three. With a live band behind him, this show will feature famous songs such as "Folsom Prison Blues," "I Walk the Line," "A Boy Named Sue," "San Quentin," and "Ring of Fire," and many other favorites
- At the conclusion of your "sentence," you will return to the resort for a restful evening.
Thursday, August 26
- BREAKFAST is included this morning at the resort, before checking out.
- This morning includes a GUIDED TOUR of the elegant 1846 MANSION MUSEUM and THE CARRIAGE HOUSE GLASS MUSEUM. Following the tour, LUNCH is included at the WILSON LODGE.
- Following the tour, you will be "released" to return home, with lasting memories of your "Outlaw Vacation."
PLEASE NOTE: All trips and itineraries are subject to change, pending the effects of COVID-19.
- From Tuesday, 24 August 2021 12:00 AM to Thursday, 26 August 2021 12:00 AM